Biophotonics North will be taking place in the town of St Andrews, in the East Neuk of Fife, Scotland.
Travelling to St Andrews
- From abroad, travel to St Andrews is easiest through the gate to Scotland: the capital city of Edinburgh.
- From Edinburgh International Airport, one can take a bus/the tramway to the city center and travel to St Andrews from there.
- From Edinburgh city center, one can reach St Andrews either by bus or train.
- Bus: service x59 to St Andrews bus station (by Stagecoach) from St Andrew Square in Edinburgh city center.
- Train: there are hourly trains from Waverley (and subsequently Haymarket) train station in Edinburgh city center to Leuchars train station, which is a 12 minutes bus ride outside St Andrews with frequent services to town (check out nationalrail to find the times and fares).
- From Dundee, the best option is to board the Stagecoach service 99 (A, B, C, or D) to St Andrews bus station.
- From Glasgow city center, there are trains to Edinburgh and Dundee. There also is a direct bus (Stagecoach service x24) from Glasgow bus station to St Andrews bus station.
It is also possible to sail to St Andrews harbor and to hike along the Fife Coastal Path. Both options are very scenic and were the preferred ones for Pilgrims who would venture to St Andrews when it was the main religious lighthouse of Scotland.
Lodging in St Andrews
The conference fees (paid when registering via our online services) cover accommodation at the Premier Inn Hotel in St Andrews (address: Premier Inn Largo Rd, St Andrews, Fife KY16 8NH). As will be detailed below, the fees also cover breakfast and lunch at the conference venue.
The hotel is a 15-20 minutes walk from the conference venue and the town center attractions.
The conference will be taking place in the Upper and Lower College Halls, in the historic buildings of the University. Address: St Salvator’s Quadrangle, North St, St Andrews, Fife KY16 9AL
Life in St Andrews during the conference
All external conference attendees will be lodging in the same hotel (see above), we will provide everyone with breakfast, refreshments and snacks throughout the day, and lunch. There will also be a conference dinner (date and venue TBC). Otherwise, St Andrews is very much of a student town with countless restaurants, nice bars and a handful of shops (in particular the hotel is close to the Aldi and Morrisons supermarkets in the south of town).
A social program will be put together in the near future, keep watching this space for updates!
St Andrews Organising Crew
Francisco, Markus, James, Naomi and Maxime are thrilled to be organising this conference and will be looking forward to meeting you in November!
Need more info?
Please do not hesitate to get in touch with us at any time for more info and help. We can be reached via SPIE.St.Andrews@gmail.com or on (+44)01 334 46 3207 (ask for Maxime).